Time management is an important skill that allows you to work effectively in the time available. With the help of time management apps, you can organize and prioritize tasks easily.
We’re about to introduce you to the best time management apps to supercharge your time and become more disciplined. We’ll also suggest life hacks that can help improve your time management skills.
Let’s face it, we all get distracted working from home. But even, if you’re in the office, Focus Booster is a simple desktop and web timer app that uses the Pomodoro session, a technique that breaks up your working time into intervals.
This time management app boosts productivity, creates focus, and tracks working time.
Here are Focus Booster’s features that help track your time, tasks and productivity:
- A time management framework with 25-minute intervals followed by 5-minute breaks.
- Automatic timesheet reports based on the recorded sessions. If you like, you can also create manual entries to your timesheets.
- A detailed report on your weekday tasks, productivity, revenue, and how much time you spent with clients. All your time management is handled in one place.
- A simple and customizable theme (light or dark) to suit your needs.
Like many time apps, Focus Booster offers a free version with 20 Pomodoro sessions per month. You’ll also get access to time tracking and productivity reporting.
Should you need more sessions, the Individual ($2.99 per user/month) and Professional ($4.99 per user per month) plans are available to choose from. They offer 200 and unlimited sessions, respectively.
If you’re having trouble focusing on your work, then Focus Booster is for you.;
The app also shows you how much time you spent on particular tasks, so you can use the data to improve your time management skills.
There are Focus Booster schedule apps available for download on Mac and Windows.
Brainstorm, connect and clarify your thoughts using MindNode. This time management app will help you you to capture your ideas with mind maps.;
With the free version of MindNode, you can:
- Create mind maps with unlimited branches.
- See your mind map from a different angle. The linear layout is perfect for displaying mind maps on phones, the task-only mode lets you have a quick glance at your open tasks.
- Simplify your mind map by folding or unfolding the branches.;
- Sync your tasks or to-do lists via iCloud.
- Export the mindmaps to formats like pdf, docx, rtf, and much more.
You can get MindNode for free or subscribe to MindNode Plus for $2.49 per user/month.
Tip 💁 – If an idea pops up but you don’t have time to open the app, the Plus plan allows you to create a mind map through your menu bar (Windows) or Today View (macOS).;
If you want to focus on one idea at a time, you can do so by using the Focus Mode. This prevents you from getting distracted by the other items and its branches.
Other premium features include tagging, customizable themes, and the ability to add images and stickers.
Before upgrading, you can try the 14 days trial to see whether the app matches your needs and that you like the interface.
Clockify is some of the best time management software on the market, allowing you to track time spent on certain tasks to keep ensure productive workflow at home, on the go, or in the office.
You can also track hours spent on a project to calculate how much you need to charge clients.
This time management app has tons of features, such as:
- Two modes of tracking time: Timer and Manual mode. Timer uses a stopwatch to track time, while the Manual requires you to enter time manually.
- A comprehensive timesheet that includes a list of projects and how much time was spent on each of them.
- A detailed dashboard showing what your team members are working on, your most tracked tasks, and what your team spends most of its time on. You can also track the progress of a project if you like.
- A summary report of your team’s productivity.
- An unlimited number of team members in a workspace. In Clockify, a workspace is where you add members, projects, tasks, and time entries.
All these features are available for free.;
However, three professional plans are available should you need other advanced futures: Plus ($9.99/month), Premium ($29.99/month), and Enterprise ($9.99/user per month).
The extra features in the Plus plan include auditing entries, time tracking reminders, and hiding timesheets from certain users.;
You can also lock timesheets to prevent regular users from changing any of their time entries. Only you, as the owner, can edit it.
Premium plan users, on the other hand, can get email alerts, hide pages from certain users, and access project management templates.
If you want to have complete control over this time app, go for the Enterprise plan.;
You can remove users from your workspace, change their names, stop the timer for them, and log into their accounts.
Furthermore, this top-tier plan also allows you to create a more secure workspace by using a custom subdomain (yoursubdomain.clockify.me).;
By using this feature, you can manage access and login credentials using your company’s identity provider.
This time management app is great for those who handle many teams and have a lot of projects and not a lot of free time. Thanks to this app, you’ll have a bird’s eye view of all the users’ and projects’ performance within one place.
Clockify is available as time management phone apps (Android and iOS), browser extensions (Chrome and Firefox), and desktop apps (Windows and macOS).;
You can find the apps to download on Clockify’s official website
Forest, a productivity and time management app, allows you to stay focused by growing a virtual tree.;
If you leave the app to check on your social media or answer a message, your virtual tree will be killed and you will need to start all over again.
Each successful planting earns you a coin, which you can donate to Trees for the Future — a non-profit organization that aims to help communities plant real trees.
Here is how Forest can help get the most out of your time:
- Choose up to nine different species of trees to grow. Keep growing trees and create a virtual forest.
- Listen to calming music while using the app.
- Set the timer, starting from 10 minutes and up to 2 hours.
A free version of this time tracking software is available on Android, but you’ll only get to grow virtual trees, and can’t donate to the tree-planting organization.
The pro version costs $1.99/user per month. This comes with phone usage and screen time tracker, statistics of the time distribution, and the ability to compete with friends.
What is more, it’s also possible to whitelist a few apps, so your tree won’t be killed when you need to use those applications.
For iPhone users, the Forest time management tool can be purchased from the App Store for the same price as the Android’s pro version.
Entrepreneurs are always on the lookout for ways to save time.
TimeTree is a scheduling app that puts your family, work, and social calendar in one place. It allows you to share your calendar with anyone you want, making it easy to coordinate events.
Keep as many team members, family and friends as you like updated about your free time and ongoing projects.;
Amongst all the time management apps we’ve listed so far, TimeTree is the only one that comes totally free.
Some of the core time management features are:
- Create multiple calendars for different purposes; personal, work, family, and more.
- Easily import and sync your Google or Apple calendar.
- Add notes or tentative events to the Keep menu. You can add dates to the entries later.
- Generate pie charts of how you are spending your time.
- Upload pictures and add comments to events.
TimeTree can be used by anyone who wants to share their schedules with others — whether it’s between family members, couples, or colleagues.
You can create to-do lists with Remember The Milk, a to-do list app that aims to help make tasks and time management easier for users.
With the free version of Remember The Milk, you can:
- Add tasks with email, Alexa, Siri, and Twitter.
- Organize your tasks your way, in lists or in visual tags.;
- Set reminders via email, text, IM, and Twitter.
- Share lists and assign tasks to a maximum of two users.
- Sync your tasks with Microsoft Outlook.;
A professional task manager subscription for Remember The Milk is available for $39.99 billed annually.;
Tip 💁 – You can create subtasks, share your lists with as many users as you need, color-code the tags, customize your theme as you like, and use badges and widgets.
Remember The Milk is available on Web, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry 10 and Fire.;
Visit its official website to download this time management software.
Trello is a well-known project management app with over 50 million registered users. This task management app will help you and your team organize projects into boards, lists and cards.;
Boards are used to track and organize your projects. Then, each board consists of cards that function as a workflow.;
For instance, you can create upcoming, current, and completed cards for your projects. Each card then will also have a list of tasks that needs to be done.
Some of Trello’s free task management features are:
- Add attachments you need from your computer or cloud storage with the drag and drop feature.
- Install any additional features you like and integrate third-party apps with Trello’s Power-Ups.; For instance, you can add custom fields, connect to Slack and Google Calendar, and more. However, you only get one Power-Up per board.
- Create automation and boost productivity with rules, such as filtering cards that are overdue and removing assigned members from completed cards. This feature can help reduce time spent doing tedious tasks. On the free plan, you only get one rule. On a paid plan you get as many as you like.
- Add a layer of security to the task manager by activating the two-factor authentication.
Two premium plans are available for you to choose from: Business Class ($12.50/month per user) and Enterprise ($20.83 per user/month)
With the premium plans, you will get access to unlimited rules and Power-Ups.;
You can also export your board’s data to CSV or JSON, group up boards to create collections, among other task management tools.;
If you are looking for a customizable productivity management app, you will like Trello. It can help you manage your workflow so that you can work efficiently.
Trello is available as a web app, mobile apps (Android and iOS), and desktop apps (Mac, Windows ). Find the download links on Trello’s website.
Timely is great at productivity, scheduling and time-tracking app for people and companies.
The app provides a calendar to help break days into hours. You can create time blocks for each day, move the blocks to a different day, and see how long it takes to finish a task.
For agencies and organizations, you can use Timely to:
- Help visualize your team’s schedule for up to 60 days in advance.
- Monitor your team’s work within a dashboard. You can see their timesheets, what they spend their time on, and reports on their performance and productivity.
- Keep track of your projects’ progress through the Activity Feed.
- Automatically record time spent in other apps. Timely can also track GPS locations so you can view when you arrive or leave work.
You can explore Timely features with its 14-day trial, and then purchase one of its plans if you want to.
The price ranges from $7 to $23 per month for the Individuals plan and $49 to $449 per month for the Teams plan.
If you choose the Teams plan, you can run up to 1,000 projects simultaneously, get priority support help, and organize up to 10 teams.
This time app keeps you accountable for how you spend your time, which will help lead to a more profitable business.
Timely is available on iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows. Get the app from the official download links.
Toggl is one of the best time management apps to help you get things done.
You can choose between ‘Toggl track’ for time tracking personal projects or ‘Toggl plan’ which is targeted at the team manager with multiple different projects to manage.
Toggl measures the time you spend on each task you complete in a working day to help provide you with productivity insights as well as allowing people to track billable time for their work.
You can use Toggl to:
- Track the time you spend on everything on a weekly calendar grid.
- Measure your team’s output on individual projects to understand potential bottlenecks in the project timeline.
- Automatically record billable and non-billable hours spend on a project for full client transparency.
- Provide insights on the efficiency of your team structure through detailed time tracking.
Each paid Toggl subscription comes with a 30-day free trial but there is a bonus in the form of a completely free version of the time management app that is aimed at freelancers.
After that plans go up to $9 per user per month for the starter plan and $18 per user per month for the premium version when billed annually.
Toggl is available on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and web. Get the app from the official download links.
Harvest is a time management app that helps increase focus and help you stay on track to achieve your goals.
With Harvest, each app user in the team can monitor their workflow while they work.
The app allows you to manage your time and track your progress with a live timer that lets you know exactly how long everything is taking.
Most importantly, the app will make sure your business knows the true cost and profitability of projects by tracking resources.
The Harvest app is packed with features to help increase focus at work like:
- Automatically tracking time and expenses for everything you do at work.
- Providing visual reports to make sure that your projects stay on track by providing productivity insights.
- Keeping track of billable hours and setting goals for team members.
- Allowing a user to work from anywhere and easily create reports across all your devices.
Editor’s note 📝 – Harvest features integrations with almost every workflow app you can imagine such as Slack, Github, Asana, Hygger, and many more. Plus, anything that you or your team record on Harvest can be presented and downloaded in easy-to-use and understand reports to help your business identify focus areas and plan for growth.
Harvest offers a free subscription as well as a standard subscription which comes in at $12 per user/month and a 10% discount when billed annually.
The Harvest time management app is available on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and through website browser extensions. Get the app from the official download links.
Evernote is often called the ultimate note taking app, but the truth is that you can do so much more than just note taking.
Evernote is a handy piece of task management software in its own right and the tool allows you to manage tasks and store all the relevant notes in one place.
Evernote is available as a mobile app, desktop app, and website integration and allows users to:
- Create rich notes with images and audio recordings
- Clip content from any website and save it directly in the Evernote app
- Scan documents and save them into the mobile app
- Integrate Evernote into popular apps such as Gmail, Slack, and Google Drive
Evernote offers a free version of its app as well as a paid subscription at$ 6.99 per month for user that want to use the app on unlimited devices.
There is also a business subscription for $13.99 per month which allows teams to work collaboratively towards their goals and if you want to try it first there is the option of a free trial.
The Evernote app is available on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows. Get the app from the official download links.
Rescuetime (and Rescuetime lite) is a time management app that allows you to track time spent on projects automatically, with no data entry needed on your part.
One of Rescuetime’s unique features is a distraction blocker tool. It’s great for keeping those digital nomads away from the beach and perhaps more usefully for most of us, it prevents you from visiting distracting websites such as social media in the hope that your focus will benefit.
Aside from time management software, Rescuetime also offers courses in time management on its website to help you get into productive habits that should address that constant work life imbalance.
Rescuetime offers everything you would expect from a professional time management tool such as:
- Real-time focus updates that set goals and reward improvements in productivity sent directly to your mobile device.
- Offline time reporting for meetings, calls, and other day-to-day activities
- Keyword filters for reports to make your productivity data easily searchable
For all this Rescuetime is actually available at the best price (free) for the basic subscription. Though if you do want to access premium features there is a paid version available for $12/ per month.
Rescuetime is available on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and web browser apps. Download it from the official website.
Quire is a task management app that allows users to plan the entire process of a project on one platform.
It is a combination of the popular kanban board concept and a rich to-do list that helps teams to stay on track with their work.
Each task can be broken down into action steps and ticked off as it is completed to give a percentage overview of the progress of a project as a whole which allows for more agile planning and time management.
Quire has a number of handy features such as:
- Task tagging to enable easy search by theme.
- Assigning tasks to teams for simple collaboration on a project.
- Rich notes that allow users to embed images.
- Gantt charts for getting an effective birds-eye view of a project as a whole.
What’s more, right now Quire is totally free to use for up to 35 organizations, 80 projects, and 30 members per organization.
You can download Quire for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android from the Quire website.
More time management tips
Other than the use of apps to keep track of your time, you can also practice some life hacks to stay focused and boost efficiency.
- Avoid multitasking. When you work on too many tasks in one go, you tend to do things in a hurry and end up losing focus.
- Follow the 80-20 rule. This suggests that 20% of what you do produces 80% of the results. Simply put, only 20% of your tasks for the day are important, while the others are trivial.;
- Cut down on your tasks for the day. Put more effort into the more important ones.
- Organize your space to help boost your productivity. A clean workspace leads to a clearer mind.
- Create to-do lists for the next day and set deadlines. When you plan ahead, you mope around less and start work earlier.
You can also take advantage of today’s technology to get tasks done much more effectively.;
Lastly, remember to take breaks in between tasks. It’s good to rest your mind a bit so that when you come back, you can refocus and work better.
Time management apps recap
Now that you know the best time management apps out there, you can implement them in your life. Make work less stressful and more productive.;
Time management creates the perfect work-life balance. It helps allocate time to spend with family and friends, making your life much happier in the long-run.;
We hope this article has helped you realize the importance of time management and how you can achieve this skill.