If you want to promote your online business you really need to start thinking about YouTube.
Why? Well, for starters Youtube is one of the most popular platforms on the internet.
With over 2 billion users worldwide, Youtube can bring your business to a whole new level.
If you haven’t tried creating a YouTube account for your business yet, now is the right time to get started.
In this article, we’ll go through the steps on how to open a YouTube channel and we’ll also cover the frequently asked questions about YouTube channel monetization in case you’re interested in making money with it.
1. Set up a Google account if you don’t have one
Before we go any further you’re going to need to know how to create a Youtube channel.
Luckily, the process is simple. No need to Youtube “How To Youtube” here, because the procedure is pretty much the same regardless of whether you’re looking to create a personal account or want to create a business Youtube account.
In order to open a YouTube account and access the platform’s core features, such as starting a Youtube channel, you will need a Google account. If you already have one, you can skip this step.
If you don’t have one, sign up for a Google Account before moving to the next step. Fill in the required information, and you’ll be all set.
2. Create a new YouTube account
By default, YouTube will automatically sign you up to the platform using your Google account’s email address information. Since you’ll be using your new YouTube.com channel for business purposes, we recommend setting up a brand account with your brand email address.
You can do so by logging into your Google account, then navigating to the YouTube Channel page. There, you can create a new YouTube brand account with your brand as its channel name.
After that, simply sign into Youtube with your account details by clicking on the icon in the top right and you’re well underway in the process to create a Youtube channel.
3. Customize your new YouTube channel
Before you create or upload video content to the new channel, you need to customize it first. Here you have the opportunity to establish a strong brand identity and differentiate your channel from your competitors.
First of all, navigate to your channel’s main page and click Customize Channel in the top right corner.
Now, it’s time to start and create your profile picture for your channel. You can do so by hovering on the profile picture and clicking the “pencil” icon. Make sure to use an 800 x 800 pixels image for optimum results.
We recommend that you use your business’ brand logo to maintain uniformity across all platforms.
You can also change the channel’s banner by clicking Add channel art. The recommended size is 2560 x 1440 pixels, with a maximum file size of 6 MB.
YouTube provides a preview of the channel art and its appearance on desktop, TV, and mobile devices. Crop the image as needed, then save your changes.
You’ll find the Channel Description section on the About page. You can use it to introduce visitors to your business, help them understand your brand statement, and add links to your website.
While it can accommodate up to 1,000 characters, YouTube will only display the first 150 characters next to your channel icon in search results. Hence, the opening line must be engaging and convey the essence of the channel.
Lastly, add links to your channel art cover to redirect visitors to your social media accounts and business website. Similar to the channel description, you’ll find the Links section on the About page as well.
You can include up to five social media links and they will appear on the bottom right corner of the banner.
If your YouTube channel reaches 100 subscribers and is at least 30 days old, you can customize its URL. To do so, click on your profile picture. Then, go to Settings -> View advanced settings -> Custom URL.
4. Upload your videos the right way
So, that covers the question of how to start a YouTube channel.
Now that your YouTube channel is all set up, it’s time to upload your video content. You can do so via the YouTube Studio located on your channel dashboard. It’s a built-in video editing tool that will help to upload and manage the content on your channel.
Whenever you add a video to your channel, make sure to optimize these elements to increase its discoverability on search results:
- Title. Craft compelling titles to create a YouTube video that will draw people’s attention. We recommend using keywords relevant to the video to appeal to the YouTube algorithm. However, make sure to avoid keyword stuffing and clickbait as they can harm your SEO.
- Description. YouTube includes a 150 characters snippet next to a video in search results. Keep this information concise yet compelling to attract traffic.
- Tags. YouTube uses a tagging system to get a better understanding of the content and context of videos. Thus, using the tags effectively will help your video target the right audience.
- Category. Choose the one that best describes your video, such as Technology, Entertainment, or Sports. Similar to tags, categories are also important for compiling search results, increasing the chance of getting seen by the right demographic.
- Thumbnail. You can opt for one of the three auto-generated thumbnails or upload a custom one. Consider making your own thumbnails as you get to decide what to show your audience, resulting in better conversions.
5. Personalize the video with YouTube Studio
Besides assisting with the uploading process, YouTube Studio lets you perform small editing changes to your video, such as using transition effects, clipping out a section, and adding background music.
Here’s how to edit a video using YouTube Studio:
- Go on YouTube Studio, select Videos found on the left side of the page.
- Click the thumbnail of the video you want to edit, then select the Editor option.
- Add elements to the timeline to promote your other videos, suggest a playlist, or redirect viewers to your channel page.
- Hit the Add element button to see even more options for adding elements.
YouTube Studio is also available for mobile devices, allowing you to edit video on the go.
6. Verify your YouTube channel
Verifying your YouTube account allows you to unlock other publishing features, such as uploading video that is longer than 15 minutes, customizing thumbnails, broadcasting live streams, and claiming content rights.
To get started with verification follow these basic steps:
- Navigate to your Settings page. In the Account tab, click Channel status and features.
- Click Verify to proceed.
- Select your location and type in your phone number to receive the authorization code. Submit the code to the appointed box, and you’re all set.
If the process is successful, a checkmark symbol will appear next to your channel name.
7. Grow your YouTube channel
Starting a channel on YouTube and uploading videos is only half of the work done. You need to grow your subscriber count and drive traffic to the channel to expand your reach and ultimately increase conversions.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you grow your YouTube channel:
Produce videos consistently
Maintaining a regular video upload schedule ensures your audience stays in touch with your content. It also helps build anticipation and expectations for your brand.
Whether you want to post a video daily, weekly, or monthly, make sure to stick to your video upload schedule. You can upload several videos ahead of schedule, mark them as private, then publish them when the time comes.
Provide value to your viewers
Create a template to keep your content’s format consistent. Having a fixed template creates a sense of uniformity and professional look across the channel.
Here are some ideas on how you can personalize your videos:
- Pre-made intros
- Using the same welcoming message, addressing your viewers
- Quick promo or mention of sponsors at the beginning of the video
- Repeating design elements, creative editing tricks for visual guidance
- Short summary at the end of the video
Interact with your audience
User engagement is a vital aspect of building a community.
It’s one of those things that a lot of brands don’t consider when they think about YouTube account creation but it is vital for success.
While high-quality content attracts viewers, it’s your interactions that retains them.
One of the easiest ways to boost user engagement is by encouraging viewers to leave a comment on your videos. You can throw in questions relevant to your brand for them to discuss.
Asking for feedback is another way to start a conversation with your viewers. This method also helps to improve the quality of both your videos and overall brand image.
Alternatively, you can host live Q&A sessions on the channel about topics related to your business or products. It’ll create two-way communication and will bring out honest responses from your audience.
Lastly, show your appreciation to your audience by thanking them for their participation in the channel’s activities.
Promote your YouTube channel
While producing high-quality content and optimizing your metadata increases your channel’s odds in search results, nothing beats a good promotional campaign.
Take advantage of social media to drive traffic to your YouTube channel. Creating a blog will also help drive traffic and increase the value of the channel.
You can also cross-promote your videos by adding links in their description section. Compiling them into a playlist is a great way to push them to appear in YouTube’s recommended tab, thus increasing the views significantly.
8. Join the YouTube Partner Program
YouTube Partner Program gives you access to the monetization features, creator support team, and copyright matching tools. In other words, it allows you to optimize the new channel for better revenue.
You should know that you can’t simply create a new channel and join the YouTube Partner Program. In fact, you can only sign up your channel for the program if you meet the following requirements:
- Comply with the YouTube monetization policies
- Live in a country or region where the program is available
- Generate over 4,000 hours of valid public views in the last 12 months
- Have at least 1,000 subscribers
- Own a Google AdSense account
Your channel’s review process may take up to a month. If YouTube rejects your application, you may re-submit the application 30 days after the last application.
Frequently asked questions about YouTube channels
After learning how to create a YouTube channel for your business, you may have follow-up questions about the platform’s signup and monetization process.
We’ll answer some of the most common questions here.
How much does it cost to create a YouTube channel?
It’s completely free. As long as you have a Google account and know how to start a YouTube channel and how to make a YouTube video then the hard work is already done.
How many subscribers and views do I need to monetize my videos?
You must have more than 1,000 subscribers to start monetizing your channel and 4,000 hours of valid public views in the last 12 months.
YouTube Partner Program’s payment threshold is $100, which means that the platform will only process the payment if you generate more than the required amount of money.
How much money do you make per 1,000 views?
An average YouTube channel earns between $1-2 per 1,000 ad views, but the rates change regularly depending on your niche and type of ads. Google AdSense will only count ads that get fully played by the viewer and not skippet through and Google keeps 55% of the ad revenue.