With cyber-attacks on the rise, not knowing how to keep your website safe is a significant risk to your business.
It’s vital to equip your website with the best security as soon as possible.
If you’re a webmaster, reading this article will show you some of the best security measures you can take to secure websites.
Table of Contents
One of the most fundamental security measures you can use on your website is an SSL certificate. This is a networking protocol that secures data on your website.
This security protocol secures the connection between the web server and the browser.
- It protects your data website from being stolen by encrypting it using the HTTPS protocol
- Any data shared by users on an SSL protected website is encrypted
- Websites that use this protocol have their connection between the web server and the client secured
- Search engines like Google favor websites with HTTPS on their search ranking system
You can tell if a website is protected by SSL when the web address starts with https:// and a padlock icon appears before their domain name.
For business websites, having an SSL certificate helps you secure digital payments made on your website.
It’s part of the payment card industry (PCI) compliance that ensures the security of visitors’ personal data when making a purchase on your website.
Zyro users don’t need to worry about getting this security software. All Zyro plans — both free and premium — come with a free SSL certificate.
You can focus on building your dream website without worrying about its security.
Create a strong password
We are all guilty of using a weak password or reusing the same one for multiple accounts.
This habit creates weakness within your login system, making it prone to brute force attacks. This is malware that uses trial-and-error to guess passwords.
For this reason, it’s essential to use a strong and unique password for your website’s admin accounts.
- A secure password generally includes a combination of special characters, uppercases, lowercases, and numbers. You would want to make it appear as unpredictable as possible.
- Password generators like Secure Password Generator and LastPass can help you create a secure password.
- These generators usually allow you to set the password’s combination requirements and complexity level to match your needs.
- If you already have a password, you can check its strength using a password checker like How Secure Is My Password? and my1login Password Test Meter.
Use secure web hosting
Choosing the right web hosting is the foundation of a secure website.
Your web host stores and manages all of the data on your website It must have strong security features to prevent cyber-attacks from hacking the server.
Here are a couple of security features you should look for when choosing a web hosting provider:
- Backups — create regular backups to prevent loss data when the worst happens.
- Firewall — monitors network traffic to stop unauthorized users from entering the server.
- DDoS prevention — prevents hackers from shutting down the server with fake traffic.
- Secure FTP — ensures the safety and originality of files you upload to the website.
- Antivirus software — protects your server from all virus attacks.
- Software updates — equips you with the latest security patches.
With Zyro, you don’t have to worry about choosing the right hosting service. We take care of it all for you.
We equip all of our plans with free and scalable web hosting. All settings are automatically set up the moment you launch the website.
Not only that, but we also offer a 99.99% uptime guarantee and speed optimization for better user experiences.
Why do you need to secure your website?
Regardless of your website type, securing it is vital.
- Website security ensures the safety of the data within. All your sensitive information, along with years of hard work, may fall into the wrong hands otherwise.
- Not only does website security protect your data, but it also preserves visitors’ personal and financial information they put in your care.
- This is particularly important for websites that request users’ data to conduct data-sensitive processes — like eCommerce transactions.
- Failure to protect personal information can lead to a decrease in trust and credibility. It may even result in a lawsuit.
- Website security also improves your website’s chance of ranking higher in search results.
- Popular search engines consider it a ranking factor. Your website will be more likely to get a higher ranking if it sticks to its security standards.
For these reasons, securing your website should be your priority from the very beginning.
How to secure your website recap
With cyber threats on the web, it’s vital to use correct security measures and protect the data stored on your website.
In this article, you learned three key security measures you can use to protect your website:
- Install robust security software — including, but not limited to, an SSL certificate
- Use a strong password and avoid password reuse
- Choose a secure web hosting with security features
We hope this article helps you understand the importance of securing your website and how to do it properly.