How would you like not to have a commute? No more wearing pants in the heat of the summer and no more cubicle drama?
Welcome to the ultimate crash-course on how to make money online.
Contrary to what your mom might think, making money online isn’t shady. There are many perfectly legitimate ways to earn a little bit of extra cash on the side or to even make it your full-time gig.
And, thanks to modern technology, making money from home is easier than remembering all of your online passwords.
Take back control of your life with these 10 jobs you can do with just a laptop and an internet connection.
Ready to get started? Change into your comfy clothes, power up that laptop (or should we say – money making machine), and make yourself a strong brew.
Let’s do this.
Whether you are really good at knitting socks or have always harbored dreams of opening up your very own reclaimed furniture shop, running an eCommerce business is a great way to make money online.
With more online buyers than ever before, now is a wonderful time to get started.
Here’s the great news: literally anyone can sell online.
No space for storing inventory? You could manage a simple dropshipping eCommerce website. Want to go all the way? Launch a full-blown eCommerce operation. The choice is yours.
The real beauty of eCommerce lies in its scalability and flexibility.
Whatever your interests, hobbies or passions may be, you can take it and make it into an eCommerce business.
Getting started with eCommerce
To get started, you need to come up with a business idea.
Let’s say you have an eye for fashion and want to launch an online shop to curate that perfect look for your clients. That’s a great idea – sell entire outfits.
But what happens next? You need the actual means of selling online that can only be achieved by building an online store.
You want to keep things simple, especially for your first eCommerce website.
So, choose a platform that keeps things simple and takes care of everything for you:
- Tracking orders
- Managing payments
- Delivering packages
- Securing your website
- And everything in between…
You also want to have an SSL certificate to keep all of the shoppers’ information secured. You wouldn’t want to shop on a website that was deemed unsafe by your browser, would you?
It’s a no-brainer.
1. Warehouse or dropshipping?
You should also decide on the practicalities of your online shop. Will you need warehouse space, or will you go the dropshipping route?
Having enough physical stock of your products at hand is useful, but it can also be costly and time-consuming.
On the other hand, dropshipping means that you will act as the bridge between the buyer and the supplier and won’t need to keep any stock.
You’ll need to relay your customers’ orders to the manufacturer of the goods. They will then ship the order directly to the customer.
2. What to look for in an eCommerce platform
Not all eCommerce website builders are made equal. You want to hit the ground running with your online store, so look for the following features:
- Ready-made templates. Save your time (it’s precious) and get a stunning-looking website in exchange. Use a template and you won’t have to pay someone to make your website look nice – it will happen automagically.
- AI tools. Smart tools help you streamline the whole process of creating a website, from creating a logo to generating text.
- Drop-and-drag interface. Have full control over your website. Add, edit, and delete elements to try on different looks. It’s simple and intuitive.
- Royalty-free images. A great eCommerce platform has a good selection of royalty-free images to make your online store look professional.
- 24/7 customer support. Responsive customer support will help you solve any problems as they arise, not in two days’ time.
So, which builder ticks all of those boxes? There are multiple options and, as always, you should check out the pros and cons of each before you commit.
We’d recommend trying out Zyro. It’s one of the most beginner-friendly website builders out there and is great for taking the very first steps in your eCommerce journey.
Zyro is designed to be your partner every step of the way and help you get online fast. With a 24/7 support team at hand, your questions will be answered in a matter of minutes and you can focus on running your business and making money, rather than worrying about the technical bits.
After all, having the heart of your business – in this case, your website – ready for action as fast as possible helps you to focus on the more logistically challenging tasks, like inventory tracking and customer service.
Make money with eCommerce
So you’ve set your mind on opening your first eCommerce business? Exciting. Get started in 5 easy steps:
- Have a well-thought-out idea for your business and decide on how it’s going to function
- Choose an all-inclusive eCommerce platform to avoid overcomplicating your life. Get everything from payments to order management and website security under one roof.
- Design a gorgeous website fast with a website builder, e.g. Zyro. Then pick the perfect domain name and hosting provider for your eCommerce business.
- Think about how your online business can be found on the web. Make use of clever social media and email marketing campaigns to raise brand awareness.
- Start selling and earning money.
Have you always wanted to develop as a writer? Or do you have a skill, an interest or a hobby that you would love to share with like-minded people?
Blogging is an easy way to not just make money, but do so passively.
1. Find your niche
Before you set up a blog, you should have it crystal clear in your mind what you want your niche or specialty to be. The goal here is to stand out from the crowd and have something that makes it special.
What’s a niche?
It’s your chosen specialty or a particular angle on a topic. If you’re passionate about cycling, and the highlight of your year is the annual cycling convention, your niche could be bespoke bicycles.
There are really no limits to deciding on your blogging niche. Yet, do bear in mind that if you are only looking to make a lot of money and have no passion for writing, then you will be setting yourself up for failure.
Rome was not built in a day, and neither is your blog. You need to be ready to put in the (many) hours and remain consistent in growing your audience to reap the rewards.
2. Get an online storefront
After you have decided on what you want to write about, you need to select the platform where you want to host your blog, build and design your website, then select your domain name.
You can approach this in three ways:
- Develop your blogging website from scratch. That’s an expensive and lengthy process, requiring web development and design knowledge.
- Use a content management system (a CMS) like WordPress, Jimdo or Medium to build your blog. It’s relatively simple, but you will have less overall control and be a lot more hands on with the technicalities of it all (or hire a professional).
- Opt for a website builder. Builders can get your blog up and running in minutes, and manage everything from web hosting to security and domains in one place.
With a builder like Zyro, you will not have to worry about a complicated set-up process.
Its drag-and-drop interface is designed with speed and ease in its core. You also get access to over 1 million free images and customize your blog to look and feel like your own.
3. Create and optimize your content
So you have your blog set up.
Now, you want to focus on planning the types of content you want to publish.
Begin by noting down the different topics you would like to write about, in what order and how often.
Research which search terms are most popular in your chosen topics, and what type of content sits at the top of Google.
This is called keyword research and its main point is to make sure that your content provides the best answer to a Google search. You want to make sure that your posts are popping up in the top search results, too.
To help boost your search engine rankings, you should make sure that your blog posts are focusing on just a handful of keywords. This will help people find your blog and put your website on the digital map.
For example, if you’re blogging about health and fitness, you can plan posts around different themes. Cover your top picks for best kettlebell exercises in one post and your go-to smoothie recipes in another.
4. Monetize your traffic
Once you have an audience and a stream of monthly visitors, it’s time to think about how you can earn some money from your blog.
One good way to do this is by including affiliate links in your posts.
Let’s revisit that kettlebell post for our health and fitness blog. You could include links to all the kettlebells that you review, and earn a commission on each visitor, who clicks on the link and buys one of the kettlebells.
Affiliate marketing is a powerful way to generate side income through your blog. By picking right affiliate campaigns, you can provide high quality sales leads to your affiliate partners with little effort.
You could also charge for guest posts. This will give you exposure to another blog’s visitors, and mix things up for your own blog. A win-win situation for all.
Get paid blogging
Convinced that blogging will make a great side hustle for you? Become a pro blogger in no time.
- Decide on a strong niche, where profitability meets your interests. This makes for the strongest business case.
- Pick a blogging platform. Website builders like Zyro have everything you need under one roof, and for little money too.
- Plan a publishing timeline and start writing top-shelf content for your blog.
- Think about optimizing for search engines: you want to be found by the people looking for your products and services on Google.
- Remember, consistency and patience will be rewarded in the long run. Don’t stop writing just because things are going well now.
- Make money from running affiliate campaigns and monetizing your ad space. Consider accepting paid guest blog posts.
3. Affiliate marketing
Companies are expected to almost double their affiliate marketing spend to nearly 9 billion US dollars by 2022.
So, it really pays to get into the game. All you need is a website with decent traffic to get started.
How does affiliate marketing work
This method of marketing works on a referral basis: you promote someone else’s products and services on your website in the form of links and banners.
A referral happens when someone visiting your website clicks on a link and is redirected to the website where they can purchase the promoted product or service.
Each referral that results in a sale is usually rewarded by a commission, or a small percentage of the sale amount given to you.
There are 4 different ways of making money from affiliate marketing campaigns:
- Pay per sale. This is by far the most common payment model, where you get paid for each successful sale of the promoted product or service.
- Pay per action. Get paid for each desired action, think newsletter subscription, eBook download, or booked meeting.
- Pay per click. You make money every time someone clicks on the campaign link or banner you are promoting.
- Pay per mile. You will be paid for every thousand views that you can generate for the promoted service or product.
What do I need to get started?
You can start your hustling as an affiliate marketer with very little upfront effort.
You need to sign up for a trustworthy affiliate platform, find campaigns that compliment your niche, and get the word out there.
Here are a few avenues to explore:
1. A website and some traffic
Affiliate marketing works particularly well for websites with larger volumes of visitor traffic, since the more visitors a site has, the higher the chances of referrals.
“But that’s not to say that affiliate marketing isn’t a powerful way to monetize traffic for smaller sites as well,” says Kristina Banyte, the Head of Affiliates at Zyro.
“Some affiliate partners are willing to pay a high commission for very specialized and targeted referrals, so don’t sit around. Not joining an affiliate program early could mean a lot of lost revenue”.
The more natural an affiliate marketing campaign feels to the website, the higher its chances of success are.
Think about it.
If you frequently visit a gardening website to learn how to look after your house plants, would you be more inclined to subscribe to a monthly gardening magazine recommended by the website, or sign up for an online fitness app?
2. A list of email addresses
Running powerful email marketing campaigns can also be harnessed for affiliate marketing purposes.
Knowing your audience well will let you decide whether you should add affiliate links to emails or if you can run 100% affiliate email campaigns.
Remember this: chances are that men in their 20s have different interests than 30-something moms with young children.
3. Social media presence
You have probably run into your fair share of Facebook and Google ads, too.
With a big enough social media presence, you can make a fair bit of cash running affiliate campaigns. Just remember to stay true to your niche and deliver value to your audience.
A good rule of thumb is to put yourself in your audience’s shoes: if you find an affiliate offer or campaign unfitting or uninteresting, so will your audience.
Extra money through referrals
If you thought that earning money through referrals was only for the big players, you should reconsider.
You can make an affiliate business work for you and make money online:
- Know your niche: don’t pick campaigns that wouldn’t fit your audience’s needs
- Have a website, a good email marketing list, or a strong social media presence
- Pick affiliate campaigns that best compliment your niche and that you operate in
- Get paid for each successful sale, action, click or view
- Start affiliate marketing as soon as you can, or you might be losing money in the long run
4. Freelancing and consulting
More often than not, people who want to make money online don’t want to invest a lot upfront. Or, they simply don’t have the money to do so.
After all, 69% of Americans don’t have enough savings to cover an unexpected $1,000 expense. Dire news.
And now for the good news: successful freelancers and consultants can make thousands of dollars every month.
All you need is a computer and internet to get started.
The power of your professional network
Offering your expertise as a freelancer or a consultant is great when you have a big professional network to tap into.
Professional social media sites like such as LinkedIn, will make your network aware that you and your skills are for hire:
- You can create a status update or a more in-depth post, detailing the types of projects you would be interested in working on.
- Clever use of hashtags will make you visible to a wider range of people outside your immediate network, and can offer valuable tips on how to further your freelance efforts (#freelance has over 26 thousand followers).
- Talking to your network, be it over lunch or coffee or online, can make you aware of opportunities that would otherwise be hidden away on a company’s intranet.
Create a profile on freelance platforms
If you don’t yet want to go at it alone – being a business owner can be daunting – there are many online platforms that bring companies and freelancers together.
Covering all kinds of different fields, from creative writing and graphic design to virtual assistants and business consultancy, there is literally something for everyone.
A few tips on how to get started:
- Build out your profile. While there is competition over open jobs on these gig websites, you can succeed. All you need is patience, reasonable rates, and high-quality portfolio pieces. Score your first client and get going.
- Timing is essential. With so many freelancers bidding for jobs, don’t waste your time drafting a detailed offer for a job that has been posted a week ago and has had a hundred people apply already. Instead, jump on the newer job posts that haven’t received lots of attention yet and maximize your chances.
- Can you trust them? You should also pay attention to things like how the client’s past projects have been rated by other freelancers and if they have a verified account. Working for good clients will save you time and potential trouble.
5. Online tutoring and webinars
Are you good at running workshops? Can you teach others things?
Then running a marketing webinar for a global audience or simply teaching English to kids in the Philippines could be your online career path.
Thanks to the internet, help with anything and everything is at hand around the clock.
Online tutoring has become increasingly popular in recent years, with platforms like TutorMe, iTalki, Preply, and many others, making it easy to set up a profile for free.
How to start tutoring people online
Know a topic or a subject inside and out?
For example, if you have native fluency in a language, you can sign up on a language learning platform to tutor others in learning the language.
University graduates can help high school students with their homework without any formal teaching qualifications.
The opportunities to share your knowledge are endless. So, you want to share what you know and help boost their grades, self-confidence, or both?
- Decide what knowledge you can market and sell. This can be based on your education or personal interests.
- Highlight any teaching experience. Having some professional teaching experience will definitely help to boost your marketability, but it’s certainly not a must-have to be a successful online tutor.
- Find an online tutoring platform that you like. There are loads, so you can trial a few to find which one you like the most. Another thing to check – how much are they going to charge you for the service.
- Get started. With hourly rates starting from tens of dollars, online tutoring can be an easy way to make money online, hopefully doing something that you enjoy.
Talk to the crowds via webinars
Webinars are similar to online tutoring, but with a group of people instead of a single person.
Do you have the gift of the gab? Use it to communicate your expertise on a particular subject, either for your own product or service, or for those of others.
Webinars are an extremely effective because:
- They are engaging. Over 70% of sales and marketing leaders vouch for webinars as one of the most important sales tools at their disposal. Since webinars encourage interaction between the audience and the presenter, the average viewing time is 60+ minutes.
- They are diverse. Webinars can be used in almost all business situations. You can give a potential buyer an in-depth introduction to your product or service, or you can tell them all about the latest developments in microbiology.
How to successfully launch your webinar
Since webinars are so useful, many businesses around the world use them. But pretty much no CEO or CMO will run webinars by themselves – they hire professionals instead.
So, make money online by running a webinar on behalf of an eCommerce website that specializes in industrial baking machinery.
Or, organize a webinar to share your own HR knowledge with a group of people looking to become HR professionals.
An easy way to start could be to create password-protected webinars and then sell the access. This is especially handy if you are in need of a quicker way to make money online.
A more long-term commitment would be to run a webinar series on a particular topic, which is particularly successful if you can focus on selling your professional expertise.
And how do you make it happen functionally? Take some time to test various webinar platforms, such as GoToWebinar and Zoom. Most have free accounts to get you started.
Just like you can tutor someone in a foreign language, you can also make use of your language skills for translating.
In this ever-expanding and global world, internationalization is a driving force for many companies, and you can help them reach their target audience, but in a completely new market.
You can work as a translator on the side to supplement your income. Or, you could take it all the way and do it full time; in the US, the median salary for translators is over $50,000 yearly.
What can you expect?
Depending on your skill level, you could translate a wide array of different types of text for both companies and individuals alike.
Not only would companies need their marketing materials and web content translated into their new target language, but individuals living in a foreign country might also be in need of translation services.
Some of the things that you could expect to translate are:
- Marketing collateral, for example brochures and presentations
- Social media content, from posts to descriptions
- Blog posts and articles
- Press releases
- Contracts and legal documents
- Email templates
- School certificates
- Work references
- Apartment lease agreements
- CVs and cover letters
How to get started
The best way to get started with making money as a translator is to set up a website for your services.
It’s also a good idea to register on many different freelance websites and platforms, then keep an eye out for translation projects.
Alternatively, you could contact a translation agency and become a contractor for them. Most agencies will ask for you to complete a test translation, to get an idea of your skill level and the types of translations that would suit you best.
Flexibility and the possibility of working from anywhere in the world is what makes translating a popular way to make money online, whether as a side hustle or a full-time job.
Being able to work on many different projects in various fields can be eye-opening and even create new career opportunities that you weren’t aware of previously.
Interpret spoken language
Another form of translating is doing interpretations.
By translating spoken language, you can make a real difference in official or business meetings.
Your language skills can help everyone understand each other and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
Earn money with your language skills
Have native fluency in two or more languages? Put your skills to work and start making money online:
- Create a website or register on freelance platforms or with a translation agency.
- Set your hourly and per-word rates; price them competitively.
- Work on translations for companies conquering new markets or help expats living abroad.
- Enable business leaders to have effective meetings – become an interpreter.
7. App and gig economy
Another way to make money online is to embrace and make full use of the ever-expanding app and gig economy.
Ask yourself this:
- Do you have a spare room that goes unused for long periods of time? Make it available for rent on Airbnb and earn some extra money. Get some weird and fabulous people to talk to – bonus. And even if you don’t have extra space to rent out, you could become an Airbnb hosting manager.
- Could you make use of your bike ride back home from the office and deliver a meal or two on your way? Sign up as a rider for the likes of Uber Eats or Foodora and make a few bucks whenever suits you the best.
- Have a car that’s sitting in your driveway, looking sorry? Get it working by registering it on Turo and renting it to other people.
There is an app for pretty much anything these days; the gig economy is where it’s at if you want to combine the online and the offline worlds to make money.
Why use apps to make money online?
Apps have become such an integral part of our daily lives; even little kids know which their favorite one is.
But it’s not all scrolls and taps, and no cash.
Here are a few reasons to try the app economy out:
- You can be your own boss. Have full control over the hours you put it, and how and when you want to work.
- Get fit while getting paid. Using your bike to deliver food orders gets your heart pumping fast.
- Switch it up when things get dull. Picking up groceries for others getting boring? Try dog-walking instead.
Have a good browse around the app store of your device and find ways to monetize your skills and interests.
But be sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.
If you’re considering renting out your spare room or your whole house, you might want to check that your landlord won’t mind. Or, if you’re a proud homeowner, tell your neighbors.
As a driver (be it a motor vehicle or a trusty bicycle), you will want to check that your insurance covers anything that could come your way while you’re busy driving meals or people.
Get paid with the help of apps
Get a little closer to your financial goals and make money online by:
- Renting out your spare room or summer cabin
- Joining the food courier or dog walking community
- Becoming a driver on call
- Selling your clothes or old furniture
Whatever it is you’re considering, there’s probably an app for that.
8. Email marketing
Email marketing can be a very powerful marketing tool, not to mention an amazing way to earn money.
In 2019, each dollar spent on email marketing was worth a whopping $42 in sales generated. Talk about profitable ways of making money online…
Over 300 billion emails are sent out every day, so it’s safe to say that email marketing is very much alive and kicking.
It doesn’t matter if you want to focus on gathering a good database and sending emails out on others’ behalf, or sell ad space in your own email campaigns.
Both ways will make you money, because successful email marketing boils down to just two simple things: fabulous content and the right target audience.
Become an expert email marketer
It’s easy to think of email marketing as just a way to promote your business and product with a weekly newsletter.
Email marketing can be used to keep in touch with previous customers, especially if you run an eCommerce business.
Do you have a spring sale planned and would like to reward those loyal customers by giving them a discount coupon? Go ahead and send them an email.
Email marketing is also a powerful way to remind potential new customers that they have items left in their shopping cart.
Over 60% of the time, a simple reminder email results in customers finishing their orders.
Getting started with email marketing
There are exceptions, but usually, you’ll need a fabulous website to grab your visitor’s attention and make them sign up for a newsletter.
Sometimes, you can reward them in the form of an eBook or a discount code – a freebie, so to speak. For example, a chef could give out ten pages of their recipes out for free to those visitors who sign up for a newsletter.
Alternatively, if you run an eCommerce shop, you could offer a 15% discount code to new subscribers.
Once you have an email list together, you can combine your own newsletters with related affiliate campaigns or sell space within your email for external ads.
Make money online through email marketing
Own your visitors’ inbox (and their credit card) in a few simple steps:
- Start building your own email list
- Run powerful marketing campaigns for your own business
- OR, earn money with affiliate campaigns
- Even better – rent out ad space in your highly-read email campaigns
- Manage someone else’s email marketing and get paid
The world is all about video right now. It’s a fantastic way to not just make money, but have lots of fun while you’re at it too.
And, if putting thoughts into words is not your forte, running a YouTube channel might be a more natural fit for you.
Creating content for YouTube or other streaming platforms like Twitch or Mixer, can be a great way to make online income.
Produce short films or a weekly talk show
Sky’s the limit when it comes to the types of content you can upload onto Youtube. However, the principles of earning money on YouTube are simple:
- Share what you are really interested in. You won’t be able to sustain a channel about a topic that you have to force yourself to be interested in. Don’t do it for the money.
- Views matter. The more views your content gets, the more money you can make by allowing ad placement before and after your videos.
- Grow your channel. The revenue earned through ads is calculated based on every one thousand views, so the bigger you grow your channel, the easier it will be to earn big bucks.
- Consistent content that viewers like is something that YouTube itself places a lot of importance on when deciding who to take on board their Partner Program. Patience is the key to successfully monetizing your YouTube platform.
Live stream your way to success
When it comes to video streaming platforms like Twitch or Mixer, gaining a loyal subscriber base can make a real difference in your income. Our best bit of advice – become a people’s person, if you’re not already.
With each subscription bringing in a couple of dollars per month, functions like special subscriber chats and perks, not to mention donations in general, can boost your total revenue substantially.
It comes as no surprise, but video games are among the most profitable categories on Twitch and Mixer. Talk shows and craft channels do well too.
Like with blogging, the longer and the more consistent your efforts, the higher the chances that you will reap the benefits of ad revenue and community support. In monetary form.
Passive income from ad revenue
If you’re not shy in front of a camera, get going with vlogging and make money online in no time:
- Set up a YouTube or a streaming channel
- Be consistent in your uploads and the quality of your content
- Engage with your audience
- Create subscriber chats and channel perks
- Monetize your videos for ad revenue and make money online
- Create content that you enjoy, and the audience will follow
10. Surveys and data entry
Knowledge is power, so what do companies do? They rely on data-driven decision making, of course.
Having a pulse of what the consumers want can make or break a company. These days, customization is key to improving the user experience.
Cue online surveys.
For anyone wondering how to make money from home, taking part in surveys could be the answer, or at least one part of it.
Answer questions to earn money
We all have opinions on most things in life. You can turn yours into dollars.
To get started, it’s good to understand a few key things about online surveys:
- There are both companies running surveys for themselves and companies that specialize in running various surveys for their business clients.
- Usually, survey companies reward consumers with a few dollars per completed survey.
- Sites like Swagbucks, Springboard Panel, Harris Poll Online, and MintVine let consumers sign up and answer surveys in exchange for money or gift vouchers.
- Most sites run a point system; each survey is worth a certain amount of points. Thus, the more surveys you answer, the more you can earn.
- After enough points have been collected, the consumer can use them as they want.
Surveys are an easy place to start, if you’re still wondering how to earn money online.
However, we should say that it’s more of a side gig than a full-time job, unless you manage to score focus group appointments or get into some consumer trials, both of which can also be done online.
It’s worth keeping in mind that while most companies use your data and answers responsibly, there are others who might not have your best interest in mind.
Make sure you only sign up for the respected and trusted surveys, otherwise you might find your inbox flooded with spam.
Save someone’s time and do data entry
Data entry, in turn, means inputting and updating different types of data.
Traditionally, data entry used to refer to updating manual records into computer databases, but nowadays the term has a wider meaning.
With the rise of voice control, companies are on the lookout for audio transcribers, paying anywhere between a couple and over twenty dollars per transcribing hour.
One helpful site for an aspiring transcriber is Scribie.
Make money online with minimum time commitment
Keen to try online money-making out, but without too big a commitment? Here’s what you should do:
- Sign up to respected survey websites
- Make answering surveys a daily habit
- Accumulate points to exchange for money or online gift vouchers
- Begin transcribing audio
- Take up short data entry tasks on sites like FlexJobs
The many ways to earn money online
Making money online is not necessarily difficult, time-consuming, or intimidating. Most of the time you just need some imagination, creativity, and a half-decent internet connection.
It all depends on the time you have available, and your skills or interests.
You could set up a full-time freelance or consultant profile, or pick up a few hours in the evenings as an Uber driver. Or maybe your passion lies within freelance writing, blogging, or video games?
Whatever your path may be, chances are that there is a way to get paid while doing it.
And the one thing that you need for all of them is a website.
Whether you want to market yourself as a one-man show, or a business, having a website is no longer a privilege, but a must.
With clever tools like Zyro, you can start your website, blog or online store in a matter of minutes.
But don’t be fooled. While there is no dress code and no boss when you hustle and make money online, no one is responsible for your success, but yourself.
Be creative, think outside the box, and work hard – good things will follow.