So you’re an entrepreneur looking for a new way to earn money online. Ever considered creating an online jewelry business?
In 2018, online jewelry sales grew by 14.2%, generating more than 5 billion dollars in online sales.
If you know a thing or two about precious metals and beautiful gemstones, it’s an exciting industry to be a part of.
While there’s no better place to sell jewelry online than your own website, creating an online store may seem like a daunting task.
But it doesn’t have to be. Read on, as we show you how to sell jewelry online in a handful of steps.
1. Find your niche in the jewelry market
Whether you choose to sell old antiques or the hottest new jewelry brands, make sure you stick to your chosen niche from the very beginning.
Finding a niche and sticking to it will help differentiate your business from your competitors.
It also sets creative boundaries and lets you focus on providing high-quality jewelry products within your specialist area.
What’s more, limiting your product scope allows you to build a loyal customer base much faster.
The best way to find your niche is to start by researching your competitors and identifying what you could do differently.
Check out the most popular themes and items of jewelry being sold online, and try to find out what’s not selling well so that you can narrow your options.
Although it takes time, all of this research will allow you to decrease the possibility of failure, and increase your store’s chances of success.
2. Define your brand identity
Your brand identity is all about how people will perceive your jewelry store. Brand identities are built over time and are crucial for business credibility.
When you’re selling high-value items such as jewelry, maintaining a good brand image is particularly important.
Design your brand’s persona and have fun with it. You’ll need to:
- Find your tone of voice, and stick to it. This is how your business will communicate with customers. Are you quirky and upbeat, cool and quiet, or maybe mysterious?
- Create a visual identity. Design a memorable logo, find a cool color palette, choose your typography, and decide how you’ll take photos of each item.
- Be consistent with how you present your brand. Make sure it looks the same wherever you sell your jewelry, from your website to social media channels.
3. Target the right customers
To successfully sell jewelry online, it’s vital that you define your target audience from the outset.
By knowing your exact buyer persona, you’ll easily be able to identify and appeal to people’s preferences, needs, and desires.
Get started by figuring out what kind of customers your store would appeal to. Consider your price points, niche, and brand identity.
Examine one or two competitors and ask yourself where else their customers would shop. For example, you might want to target affluent customers with fine jewelry.
Ask yourself some more questions about the ideal person you’d love to target: what’s their job? Roughly how much do they earn to pay a high price for your products?
What are their hobbies and interests? How big is their house and where do they buy their groceries?
It’s intense, but it’s really useful to understand your shoppers’ lifestyles. Constructing a buyer persona will be key to guiding all of your marketing efforts and product choices.
Regardless of your target market, make sure your jewelry items have a unique selling point (USP).
Your USP is essentially a marketing strategy, highlighting the benefits of your products to show what sets them apart from the competition.
4. Create an online jewelry store to sell your products
It can save you a lot of money and time: you won’t need to hire a professional web developer or designer.
Plus, building your own eCommerce store gives you the freedom to design it in a way that suits your brand perfectly. You’ll have full control over its settings and features, too.
You don’t need to have programming or design skills to create an online store and start selling online.
There are loads of accessible website builders available to anyone, offering beautiful web templates and helpful, scalable eCommerce features.
Zyro’s Website Builder is no exception. For $27.50/month, you can effortlessly build a beautiful online store with the eCommerce plan.
You’ll be given access to a big collection of designer-made web templates to choose from, which you can easily customize using the drag-and-drop builder.
You also need to find the right domain name, and Zyro can help with that. Just make sure you pick one that resonates with your brand and is easy for customers to remember.
5. Find a supplier for your jewelry goods
One of the most critical steps to consider when selling jewelry online is finding the right supplier. Having a trustworthy manufacturer that you can depend on is a must for any retailer.
It’s definitely possible to stock, pack, and ship products on your own, especially when you’re just starting out.
However, as your store starts getting more orders, sending out every item by yourself can become a hassle.
Consider collaborating with a supplier that will drop ship products directly to your customers from their warehouse. You can then focus on managing and promoting your business.
Just remember to weigh up the pros and cons of drop shipping. While it can free up a lot of time and energy, if an item is late or damaged, the customer will want answers from you.
6. Register your business and start selling jewelry
If you’re planning to grow your eCommerce business and surround yourself with a team, you’ll need to register it.
Choose a legal business name, then apply for business licenses and permits to make it an official company.
Keep in mind that this process might be different depending on where your business is located.
If you live in the US, you can get more information about registering a business on the U.S Small Business Administration website.
Some countries allow sole proprietorship businesses not to register themselves.
Should you plan to scale your store, legalizing it will improve your brand awareness by ensuring its legitimacy. Plus, it will protect your personal assets in the long run.
7. Promote your products and your brand
After your online jewelry store is up and running, it’s time to have fun and promote it. Here’s a few marketing ideas to get you started:
- Social media advertising. With over 3.8 billion people using social media in 2020, marketing your brand across various channels will bring you more traffic and improve brand recognition.
- Paid advertising. This is ideal for expanding your local or global market reach, particularly if you don’t have a substantial audience base yet.
- Influencer marketing. Brand collaborations with influencers and celebrities could be great for increasing brand awareness.
Bonus tips for a successful jewelry eCommerce business
Just like any other business, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to start selling jewelry online and make it successful.
Here are some extra tips to speed up your jewelry business growth rate:
- Optimize your website’s performance. Get the best out of your page speed, user experience, and responsiveness – avoid losing customers over a slow website.
- Offer deals and discounts. Entice new and loyal customers with personalized limited-time discount codes for your beautiful jewels.
- Use social media often. Give your products tons of exposure by showing them off to your followers.
- Build an email list. Keep customers informed about your newest product launches and offer them exclusive access.