You just purchased a domain. But what are you going to do with it?
If it’s your first time, it’s normal to feel a little lost.
We’re here to help you kick your creativity into gear.
For many domain newbies knowing what to do once you’ve bought a domain name is a bit of a mystery.
Your shiny new domain name is the first step to many great things. It’s the starting point for building your online presence and brand, and then dominating Google search results and social media.
Get started and:
- Get web hosting
- Create a website, blog, or an online store
- Get a custom email address
- Develop your brand
- Grab the social media handles
- Monitor your website’s growth
- Sell your domain
1. Connect your domain name to a web host
You’re most likely thinking about creating a website with your new domain name.
If that’s the goal, then the first step is to connect your domain name to a web host.
Most quality web hosting providers and website builders have a simple and straightforward domain connection process.
All you need to do is navigate to the control panel and look for a domain transfer or domain connection section.
Once you’re in the right place, you’ll be prompted to enter your new domain and the related information.
If you’re working with top quality players like Zyro, the moment you submit your new domain name you’re finished and can continue with more important things.
Easy peasy, right?
2. Create a website, blog, or an online store
Having a website allows people to discover you and your business online.
If you pick a catchy domain name, you can improve the chances of people remembering your website address. This increases the chance of getting more organic traffic and improves brand awareness.
You have a few options when it comes to setting up your website, blog, or online store. You could:
- Code it from scratch. This takes time and you should be fluent in programming languages.
- Pay someone else to do it. Opting for a third party to help you out is both time-consuming and expensive.
- Use a website builder. Perfect for those with no prior web development or coding experience. Plus, it’s much faster and cheaper too.
We recommend opting for a website builder if it’s your first time creating a website.
Because a good website builder:
- Has professionally-designed web templates to accommodate all types of websites — from online storefronts to blogs, portfolios, landing pages, and everything else in between.
- Has everything under one roof. You won’t have to worry about web hosting, storage, or SSL certificates.
- Is mobile-optimized. Cater to internet users everywhere, and on any device.
With website builders, you commonly just pick the template you like and customize it to look and feel like your own. It’s a fast, simple, and most importantly easy way to launch your site.
3. Get a custom email address
Once you’re done setting up your website, the next step is to create a custom email address.
This is particularly important if you run an eCommerce store and often interact with your customers regarding their orders. A custom email is also useful if you’re setting up an email marketing strategy to promote your online store or business.
Besides giving you a faster communication channel, having a custom email address is great for building trust with your target audience in the long run.
Additionally, it also boosts your brand’s credibility, email open rate, and consequently your conversion rates.
While a free Gmail or Hotmail email account works to get you on your feet, if you’re serious about running email marketing campaigns, for example, you can quickly run into problems with spam filters.
And considering that 14.5 billion spam emails are sent globally every day, having a unique domain-based email can improve your overall email deliverability.
If you have a Zyro-powered online store, for example, you can easily set up a professional business email with the platform at no extra charge.
Not only can you put your domain next to the email address, but we also let you migrate content from your old mailbox to the new one. This way, you’ll never lose track of previous conversations.
4. Develop your brand
A brand is what separates you from competitors in the same niche.
As it’s what people recognize you by, establishing a brand is one of the most critical steps to build your online presence.
Since a domain name generally represents a website’s brand, owning one helps you get one step ahead in the process.
If you’re serious about your brand, it’s time to focus on:
- Producing high-quality content — by giving new visitors a reason to return, you can drive even more traffic to the site.
- Developing your brand’s assets — having a distinctive logo, a tagline, and a brand story make your brand stand out from the competition.
- Prioritizing SEO optimization — optimizing your website for SEO is one of the best ways to attract organic traffic and increase your chance of climbing the SERP ranking.
- Building an audience — having a following can help your site and brand grow faster. For that, you need to engage with your audience regularly.
- Maintaining a good reputation — maintaining a good reputation is a vital step to build a brand strategy and develop trust with your audience.
5. Grab the social media handles
Now that you have your domain, it’s time to grab the social media handles while they’re still free.
Your brand will look trustworthy and it’ll be more memorable to the consumers if you’re sporting a unified look across the internet.
You want your social media handles to be as similar as possible to your domain and brand name. They don’t need to be exact copies of your domain, though: sometimes you might need to include letters, symbols, or numbers in the usernames.
Get started by setting up new accounts on the platforms that you’re planning on using. If you’re short on time, just sign up with your custom email, grab your desired username, and finish up later.
6. Monitor your website’s growth
To have a successful website, you must keep track of the popularity of your site. This includes monitoring your site’s performance and traffic growth rate.
You can do so easily using a web analytics tool like Google Analytics or Google Search Console. These free Google services generate valuable data and metrics about your website to inform your decision-making process.
The types of data it produces include, but not limited to, individual web page performance, visitors’ browsing behavior, and visitor segmentation.
To boost your web traffic and your site’s overall growth, you should pay attention to:
- Regularly auditing the technical SEO sections on your site (this will help your content to rank on search engines)
- Increasing your site speed (you’ll lose visitors if your site takes too long to load)
- Improving the user experience and user flow (keep an eye out for any page errors and faulty links)
7. Sell your domain
Some domain names are worth millions of dollars.
For some people, buying a domain name or two and selling them for profit in a few years is a real hobby.
So don’t feel guilty if your moment of inspiration (and a good deal on .awesome domains) at 2am feels like a mistake the following day.
Chances are that there is someone out there who is willing to pay some money for it.
Use domain auctioning platforms to sell your domain. Usually, it only takes a couple of moments to register with your email.